While this will not be an exhaustive list, decades of ministry have illustrated that there are diverse circumstances in life, but at the end of the day, there are common denominators why people end up with ruined lives. Without a lot of comment, here are some of the things I've observed:
- Ignores consequences - never deal with the root of an issue, deal only occasionally with the fruit that continually crops up.
- Avoid anything painful. Sacrifice is to be avoided at all cost.
- Make personal happiness (above anything else) your goal in life.
- Never relinquish control.
- Only do things you completely understand.
- Convince yourself that you can compartmentalize - you are a good person in most areas of your life and that certainly outweighs any deficiency.
- Never let light shine on the secret area of your life.
- Depression, self-pity, emotional struggles entitle you to avoid personal responsibility.
If you intend to end up a train wreck, pick at least one of these and defend it with all your might.
Any others I might have missed?